Candidiasis is an increasing problem today in the developed world and in our country, primarily due to the greater use of highly processed foods, as well as foods to which sugar has been added.
This health problem most often occurs in people who have used antibiotics excessively or used very strong antibiotics, people with weakened immunity, those who have received corticosteroids or suffer from diabetes, pregnant women and people who have eaten sweets or foods that contain a lot of yeast.
Intestinal candida is manifested by increased gas in the stomach, nausea, frequent bowel movements, diarrhea, constipation, increased desire for sweet, anal itching… Candida in the mouth can be recognized by white deposits on the tongue and a change in taste in the mouth. With vaginal candida, white, cheesy secretion and itching can be found.
How to prevent candida
Here are some tips on how to prevent candida growth and candidiasis:
- Eat foods that are not conducive to the reproduction of candida. Most of the foods we use in our daily diet contain a large amount of sugar, refined ingredients and additives. Avoid such foods and increase your intake of fresh vegetables, fruits and foods rich in fiber.
- Taking 1 or 2 fresh fruits a day(except for very sweet fruits, such as grapes, watermelon and mango) is allowed. Dried fruits, sweetened fruit juices, canned fruits and melons should be excluded.
- Avoid foods made from white flour(white bread and pastries, cakes, cookies, biscuits, pasta), white rice and peeled potatoes. Whole wheat flour, in moderation, can also be eaten, also potatoes with husk, brown or integral rice, integral pasta(available in health food stores and larger supermarkets) and integral pastries.
- Eliminate foods that contain fungi such as baker’s and brewer’s yeast, baker’s products with yeast, mature cheeses and moldy cheeses. Mushrooms and peanuts should also be discarded.
- Dairy products should not be avoided unless there is an allergy to them. Yogurt and acidophilic drinks rich in probiotic cultures have an advantage over milk and cheese.
- Avoid vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard, salad dressings, ketchup, soy sauce, pickles and pickled products.
- Do not use alcohol, and reduce black coffee and strong teas to a minimum.
- Increase your intake of essential oils, especially omega-3 acids(fish oils, sea fish: salmon, mackerel, tuna in oil, sardines in oil, etc.). If the listed foods are not used enough, you should take supplements, ie. omega 3 acids in capsule form.
- Use natural remedies instead of industrial ones to get rid of fungi and parasites. The use of some standard medications can lead to increased growth of Candida.
- Stay in a dry environment because the growth of candida is affected by moisture.
- Learn how to deal with stress. Stress has a negative effect on the immune system and is one of the main causes of its weakening, which results in the development of candidiasis. Regular exercise strengthens the body and the immune system and is a great way to relieve stress.
- Avoid birth control pills and excessive use of antibiotics and corticosteroids.
- Take antifungal supplements such as wild oregano oil, aloe vera, cloves and garlic, which prevent excessive growth of Candida.
- Contact a doctor if you feel any problems and suspect a Candida infection.