What is Carpal tunnel?
Carpel tunnel syndrome is common condition that causes pain, numbness, and tingling in the hand and arm. A numbness and tingling in the hand and arm caused by a pinched nerve in the wrist. Carpel tunnel syndrome is also called a condition due to compression of median nerve as it travels through the wrist at the carpel tunnel. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the nerve that gives feeling to our hand becomes pinched. It cause numbness in the thumb and index and middle fingers.
Symptoms of carpel tunnel
- Numbness, tingling in the thumb, or burning sensations in the thumb and fingers, and half of ring finger, weak grip.
- It generally starts during the night. Because many people sleep with their wrists bent and here the symptoms awaken you from the sleep. The pain may extend up to the arm also.
- Weak grip strength may occur and after a long period of time the muscles at the base of the thumb may waste away.
- Occasional shock like sensations that radiate to the thumb, index and middle finger.
- Swollen feeling in the fingers.
- Weakness when gripping objects with one or both hands.
- Carpal tunnel release is one of the most common hand conditions require surgery.
- Inability to perform tasks that require delicate motions.
- Dropping objects
Cause of carpel tunnel ?
- Obesed people are at more risk, repetitive wrist work, pregnancy, genetics, rheumatoid arthritis are the people who have higher chance of having carpel tunnel.
- Genetics factors are said to be the most important determinants who develop carpel tunnel syndrome. This may be smaller in some people or there may be anatomic differences that change the amount of space for the nerve and these traits can run in families.
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Fluid retention from pregnancy or menopause
- People with high blood pressure.
- Fractures or trauma to the wrist.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause swelling.
A mass (tumor) in the carpel tunnel.
Home remedies for carpel tunnel
- Azadirachta indica(Neem)
Neem is known for the number of medicinal characteristics which is dealt for the number of diseases. Neem is used for healing wounds, acne, aches. Carpel tunnel syndrome can also be treated with neem and is very beneficial too.
- Spiders doing pushups on a mirror
- Start with your fingertips touching and pointing down toward the floor.
- Spread fingers apart as far can it it steeple the fingers by separating palms of hands but keeping fingers together.
- This stretches the carpel tunnel and gives instant relief from the pain.
- Shake your hands like you have just washed your hand and trying to dry them. Do this for a minute or two and its median nerve from getting cramped tight in the day.
- Elbow flexion and wrist extension
Step1:- Sit tall and put the affected arm to the side, level it with your shoulder, with the hand facing the floor.
- Flex your hand and your finger towards the ceiling that is up.
- Bend your arm and bring your hand to the shoulder.
4.Repeat it twice a day.
- Arm flexion in front of body
- Sit tall and reach the affected arm straight out in front of yourself with elbow straight and arm level with shoulder.
- Extend your hand away and point the fingers towards the ground.
- Bend your elbow and bring your wrist towards your face
- Repeat it twice a day.
- Tendon glides:-
Step1. Hold your hand , in front of you, now your fingers are straight in front of you.
2. Curl your fingers as if they form a hook shape.
3. Curl your fingers further and make a tight fist.
4. Repeat this exercise five times a day. Hold for three seconds in every pose.
Medial nerve glide
- In this first of all make a fist.
- Extend your fingers and keep your thumb close to your fingers.
- Bend your hand backwards towards your arm.
- Keeping your hand in that position, extend thumb away from your fingers.
- Turn the forearm so the hand is palm up.
- Prayer stretch
- It can be known from the word only here in this we have to put our hands together under our chin in a prayer position.
- Now push your hands down to your waist until you feel a stretch. Hold up for 20 second.
Regular rotation of wrists by moving only our hands up, down and left. Four times a day gives relief.
Push your thumb backward and in forward direction until your thumb feel a gentle touch. Repeat it two times a day.
- If you want to ease the symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome then put ice on your wrist or soak it in an ice bath. Try it for 10 to 15 minutes, once or two in a hour. You can also gently shake your wrist or hang it over the side of the bed for pain that wakes you up in the night.
- The fastest way to get relief from carpel tunnel is when a specific nerve in the wrist is compressed, causing numbness and tingling in the hand and fingers. Since it’s a structural problem of not having enough room for the nerve in the wrist squeezing a ball can give you relief.
- A heating pad for carpal tunnel is both popular and effective. Most doctors agree that using heat is better way to treat carpal tunnel syndrome. Taking a handkerchief and giving it heat and then applying it in the affected area will give relief.
- Moving your computer keyboard. Keep your hand in running position.
- Massage therapy is an effective way to help relieve from carpel tunnel syndrome and can used as preventative measure. It can help by reducing the pain, numbness, inflammation in the carpel tunnel. Massaging is the solution to every problem.
How can one prevent from carpel tunnel
- Sleep with your wrists held straight.
- Keep your wrist straight while lifting heavy tools.
- Avoiding curls
- Stretching hands before and after performing work.
- Taking breaks from long activities.
- Monitoring and properly treating to carpel tunnel syndrome.
- Elevate your hands and wrist whenever possible.
- Do not take any painkillers.
- Use small rubber balls and squeeze them that will ease your pain.
- Surgery, medication, immobilization are treated for carpal tunnel rather than home remedies
- Also, if carpal tunnel left untreated can lead to weakness and lack of co-ordination in your finger and thumb. Treatment can relieve pressure on the nerve and, for nerve and, for most people eliminate their symptoms .