Having a dog is fun, as dogs are mostly fun-loving creatures. But if you noticed a sudden change in your dog’s behavior and your dog’s stool, then it can be a sign of dog diarrhea. Dog diarrhea is very common in dogs, and you might not need to trouble a vet during most of the time. Dog diarrhea home remedy can be very useful for your pet and Dog diarrhea remedy are effective and safe to use.
But before knowing about the home remedies for Dog diarrhea, we should know about the canine digestive system, causes of dog diarrhea and Tips to prevent dog diarrhea.
Digestive System of a Dog
There are a lot of differences in human digestive system and canine digestive system. Our digestive system starts at the moment when we are still grinding in our mouth and our saliva starts to mix with the food.
Our saliva is very important to break starch into glucose. Dog’s do have salivary glands, but their digestive system is very different from ours, just like our eating patterns are very different. When we eat chicken, mostly we through bone out and eat the flesh, but a dog can digest a whole piece along with the bone. Their stomach acids are stronger than the human stomach acids and that is the reason that they can digest so easily. A normal duration between eating a meal and stool is about 12 hours in a dog.
Just because their digestive process is so different from humans, so puppy diarrhea home remedy are really different from human diarrhea home remedies.
Causes of Dog Diarrhea
The reasons for dog diarrhea can be different, and it can be as small as a bad diet or over-eating or a lactose product and can be big like eating something that they cannot be digested. We will discuss the most common reasons for dog diarrhea.
- Eating a rotten food, eating garbage can be a reason for dog diarrhea.
- A dog’s digestive system takes a while to adapt to a new diet. So, a change in their diet can be a cause of dog diarrhea.
- Allergy to some kind of food or to some kind of behavior can be a reason for dog diarrhea.
- Eating a poisonous plant or berry can also cause a disruption in a dog’s health.
- Eating something that cannot be digested. Like a Lego toy, or socks. Since dogs have special love towards shoes and socks. If they mistakenly eat that, it will cause a lot of trouble. This non-digestive item can be a pebble as well.
- Stress and emotional upset, or separation anxiety also affects their digestive system. Try to keep your dog calm and in check.
- Some other kind of illness is also a cause for dog diarrhea. Illness like inflammatory bowel disease and liver disease are major reasons for Dog diarrhea.
- Parasites sometimes can be a reason for problem in their digestive system.
- Lactose is a problem is some of the dogs. Apart from milk, there are other items that a dog is allergic to.
- Viral infection or a Bacterial infection can be a reason for digestive problems in a dog.
Symptoms of Dog Diarrhea
Apart from pooping several times a day. There are several other signs with which you can tell if your dog is having a diarrhea.
- You are noticing an inactivity in your dog and tiredness along with pooping several times. Then this isn’t because of over eating but a clear sign of diarrhea.
- You notice a change in the color of your dog’s tool. You are noticing a streak of blood, mucus or black stool, then it can be diarrhea.
- Your dog is vomiting and losing weight really fast is a sign of dog diarrhea.
- Your pet is taking longer during pooping can be s sign as well.
These are the few symptoms of dog diarrhea that you need to watch, and these symptoms will help you differentiate between overeating and diarrhea.
What a dog poop can tell you about its health?
How to spot dog health issues from its stool? The easiest way to check a dogs’ health is to monitor its poop. We will tell you few tips that can help you spot a health ailment in a dog with their poop.
What is a normal dog poop?
A normal dog stool is chocolate brown, shaped like logs, and should be moist and easy to pick from grass.
A change in your dog’s poop can be a symbol of some health issue.
Important things that you should keep in mind are:
- Your dog’s poop should be chocolate brown in color, if you are not giving your pet anything with artificial colors. If you notice a change in a dog’s stool color, then it can be a sign.
- If you notice a change in dog’s poop shape, then you should be worried. If your dog’s poop is not round and dry, then it is a clear sign of dehydration in your dog. If your dog’s poop is watery, then it is a clear sign of diarrhea, and you can use below dog diarrhea home remedy to treat.
- Dog stool should be proportionate to the amount of food they regularly take. A sudden increase in stool or decrease in stool can be a problem.
- Color in the dog stool can represent many different things, and that is why it is discussed in a different section.
Change in color of Dog stool
As discussed earlier, a normal dog stool is chocolate brown in color and any change in the color can be a symbol of a disorder. This disorder can be small or big.
|Chocolate Brown||Normal health|
|Yellow Stool||Maybe a sign of Bacteria overgrowth or|
liver disease or
Not enough production of bile
|Green Stool||Eating grass (Normal not a major issue) or|
Gall bladder disease or
|Black Stool||Black stool usually means internal bleeding including,|
Kidney disease or
Bleeding in upper digestive tract
|Grey Stool||Pancreatic issue or |
Gall bladder issue or
|Blood Stool||Blood in dog stool can be a symbol of a cut in anus or it can be something bigger,|
Like Parovirus in puppies or
Bacterial or Viral Infection
|Blue Stool||This is not a normal dog disorder and it can mean two things|
Either your dog have eaten something with blue color or
Your dog ate Rat poison ( Do not take risk in this scenario and consult a vet as soon as possible)
|Chocolate Brown with White Spot||White spot that look like a rice grain can be symbol of tapeworms|
Check More: Dog Hair Fall and Causes
Home remedies for Dog Diarrhea
If your dog have not consumed anything poisonous or mistakenly eaten a foreign body. If your dogs’ health is not dropping drastically and your pet is active, then you might not need to visit a vet. Dog diarrhea home remedies are an easier way to solve this problem.
Fasting for Puppy Diarrhea
Fasting is an old technique to strengthen your stomach. When you fast, then your body tries to burn all the leftover in your guts, at the same time body also burns some harmful toxins inside as the body. Fasting can help in puppy diarrhea and is a crucial home remedy for puppy diarrhea.
Try to avoid giving food to your dog from 12 to 16 hours for an adult dog. This duration is enough for a dog to burn many harmful toxins inside their body. This will also give rest to gastrointestinal tract of your dog.
This thing can be applied on a healthy dog only. If your dog already lost few pounds then try to avoid this as this might not give fruitful results. Fasting can not be applied on a really small dog as they have a really small belly can not tolerate fasting for that long duration.
Give your Pet a lot of Fluid
In a general case of diarrhea, a body looses a lot of fluid and nutrients. Make sure that your pet is constantly dehydrated. Dehydration can lead to a rapid weight loss in your pet. Sometimes it also leads to tiredness due to electrolytic imbalance. Keep your pet’s electrolytes in check by giving him a lot of fluid.
Curd or Yogurt for Dog Diarrhea
Curd and yogurt have great digestive properties According to science, these two things have a huge amount of good bacteria in them. This bacterium is really good for our as well as for dogs. You can feed curd or yogurt to your dog. They might not eat it directly, and obviously you have to trick them.
Before feeding them, make sure that your dog is not highly lactose intolerant. If your dog is not lactose intolerant, then yogurt will strengthen their guts.
Pumpkin Seed for Dog diarrhea
Pumpkin seed are really useful and can be fed to a dog very easily. Pumpkin seed are really effective against constipation and diarrhea, and you should give your dog some pumpkin seed. This will surely help him recover from diarrhea.
Rice water for Puppy Diarrhea
Rice water is another option for you to give to your dog to cure dog diarrhea. Boil the rice in water and filter out the grains and collect the water in one utensil. This white soup can help your dog to recover his health condition. You can use this with some other kind of food that your dog loves to eat.
How to make rice water?
- Take one cup of rice
- 4 cups of water and let it boil
- Filter liquid and rice in separate containers
- Let the liquid cool and serve it to your dog
Rice that you have just boiled can be used as a bland diet for your dog.
Probiotics for dog
Probiotic promotes the growth of the bacteria that are responsible for good digestion. Yogurt itself is a probiotic and can help your dog in gaining good bacteria and provide a space for them to grow. Try using probiotics when your dog have diarrhea.
Protein for Dogs
Protein can help your dog a lot. Protein will help in cell regeneration. Protein sources like eggs and chicken are dog’s favorite as well. So you will not have trouble in feeding them.
Marshmallow root is a herb that can help your dog in soothing the gastrointestinal tract. This can also decrease inflammation in your dog’s belly. Give 1.5 ml per 20 pounds body weight.
Bland Diet for Dog
Bland diet can help your dog in diarrhea. Try to reduce the amount of regular food you are feeding your dog and try to give boiled chicken and rice to your dog. Slowly replace this meal for few days and give him in small quantities. Keep feeding him till the day your pet is perfectly fine.
Tips to prevent Dog Diarrhea
Treating a problem is a hustle, but preventing a problem is way easier. You can use these tips to prevent your dog from having a diarrhea.
Keep your deworm process in check. Some experts suggest that you should deworm your dog every three months. Maintain a calendar of the last date of your dog deworming process.
Feed him food with good bacteria
Probiotics and food like yogurt and curd should be fed to your dog more often. Even they do not have any ailment, these foods will only help your dog and will reduce the chances of developing any issue.
Introduce new food slowly
If you are planning to change your dog’s diet, then try to introduce the new food slowly. Make sure that your pet gets familiar with this new food and then only accept it as a full diet. You can do it by giving your pet a small chunk of this new food away from its regular diets. When the pet gets familiar with it, try to introduce it into its diet and then slowly change its one time diet to the new while another diet of the old food. When you are completely sure that your pet will eat this in all its diet, then replace your old diet.
Bad guts due to Anxiety
Anxiety in dogs is a big problem, and this anxiety can affect their stomach as well as digestive power. Try to use the best ways to remove dog anxiety and keep your dog clam.
When to consult a doctor in Dog Diarrhea?
If you notice symptoms that are way complicated, then just simple diarrhea. Maybe it is the time to visit a vet.
Symptoms like High fever, Lethargy, Rapid weight loss and pale gums can be a few signs that your dog might have something worse than diarrhea. If the diarrhea cannot be cured with the home remedies for dog diarrhea, then you should definitely consult a doctor. If your dog is showing food deprivation signs on it own, then you better consult a doctor.
If your puppy is younger than 9 months, then it is better to consult a vet.
Diarrhea is a very common disease and can be treated easily with dog diarrhea home remedy, but sometimes the situation can be complicated with more than one disease at a time. If you spot a bigger problem than just normal diarrhea, then you should take your pet to a vet. Simple diarrhea can be easily treated with the home remedies.