Silverware were really popular in 19th century. But still few families in UK and USA are still keeping their ancestor’s silverware. Silverware are hardly used these days to eat, but silverware are great collectibles. But a common problem people are facing is how to keep silverware shinning and new all the time. This post will answer an important question on how to clean silverware at home easily.
Silver plating is a very old form of plating, it is in the use since 18th century. Plating has the various uses like it is used to decorate the objects, use to avoiding the corrosion on the metals, improve solderability and wearability, to improve paint adhesion, improve infrared reflectivity. Mainly jewelry is often use plating like silver plating and gold plating.
There are many types of plating i.e., silver plating, gold plating, chrome plating, copper plating, rhodium plating, zinc plating, zinc-nickel plating, tin plating, alloy plating and composite plating. But here we will only get to know about silver plating and different and effective ways to keep silver plates clean.
Effective ways to clean silver
There are several ways to keep silver plate clean whether it is someone’s family heirloom (a special thing which is with the family from the certain generations), or some antique stuff, dinner set or some other thing made up of silver. We will further discuss the ways to clean the silver plates whether it is valuable, sentimental or antique.
How to clean silver plates with dish soap and water?
It is very well known that if the material is made up of sterling silver, and it is exposed in open air them it will get oxidize or lose luster and get tarnished and get discolored and lose the shine to dull. The most important thing which everyone should know that the key to clean the silver plate is to avoid the abrasion (process of scraping). If someone is cleaning the silver plates with harsh abrasive products like chlorine bleach, storing it using rubber bands or newspaper, then it should not be done because all these things damage the silver.
Steps to clean silver using dish soap:
- Firstly, mix the dish soap with warm water and then dip that mixture in microfiber cloth.
- Then rub the silver plate with that cloth, or you can even clean any other jewelry with that mixture of dish soap and warm water.
- Then rinse it with cold water.
- Make it dry it with soft and clean towel.
- Then buffing (polish) with that cloth which is made for silver.
Cleaning Silver items with Aluminum foil and Baking Soda
This is easy method for the cleaning of silver jewelry and silver flatware. After using this method, difference can be seen in few minutes.
Steps to clean silver using aluminum foil and baking soda:
- Firstly, take the bowl with aluminum foil.
- Then fill the bowl with warm water and baking soda, if talk about the amount of baking soda then it is one tablespoon per one cup of water.
- Then make the contact of silver plate, warm water with baking soda and aluminum foil at a time so that the chemical reaction takes place.
- Now leave that stuff for 10 minutes.
- Now at last take out the silver from that solution and make it dry from soft and clean microfiber cloth.
How to clean Silverware with Laundry Detergent?
This is similar to the baking soda method. It is convenient and even effective process for removing the dullness and tarnish from the silver plate. Similarly, like previous one method in this will again require aluminum foil, bowl, hot water, and now the laundry detergent.
Steps to clean silver using laundry detergent:
- Firstly, take the bowl with aluminum foil.
- Then fill the bowl with warm water laundry detergent, if talk about the amount of laundry detergent then it is one tablespoon per one cup of water and also make sure that detergent is fully dissolved.
- Then make the contact of silver plate, warm laundry detergent and aluminum foil at a time so that the chemical reaction takes place.
- Now leave that stuff for two to three minutes.
- Now at last take out the silver from that solution and make it dry from soft and let it dry in air.
Check More: Check Himalayan Salt Benefits for Skin and Hairs
Cleaning Silver Items with toothpaste
So, as we all clean our teeth with toothpaste similarly, we can clean silver plates with toothpaste. This method is simple, but it can give same scratch to the silver plate so better to use it on the small portion of the silver plate before using it on the entire portion.
Steps to use toothpaste for cleaning silver plate:
- Firstly, apply little bit of toothpaste on the microfiber cloth.
- Rub that microfiber on the silver plate until the tarnish and dullness get removed
- Rinse it with warm water and then make it dry with clean cloth.
Silver Cleaning Polish
There are a good deal of jewelry cleaning liquids for the polish of silver plate but if someone has to use commercial and effective product for cleaning the silver or any other jewelry or any antique stuff, combine the jewelry cleaner with the elbow grease then rub it on the silver plate, it results in very high shine.
How to clean Silverware with Corn Starch?
We all know that there are many household uses of corn starch and it is also uses in bringing the shine of the silver plate.
Steps to clean silver plate using corn starch:
- Firstly, add corn starch and water in 1/3 amount.
- Now take a damp cloth and then apply the paste or corn starch and water on the tarnished spot on the silver.
- Let leave that stuff for some time to let it dry.
- Now at last clean the stuff with abrasive cloth and rub off the dry area.
Cleaning silver items using Hand sanitizer
Just like hand sanitizer are use in cleaning the hands from bacteria and dirt, same it is also used in cleaning the tarnish and dullness from the silver plate. Take the few drops of sanitizer on the dry and clean cloth and then rub it on the silver plate, then you will see the difference.
So, above are the several techniques for cleaning the tarnished portion and dullness of the silver plates. Anyone can go through the above techniques and apply on their silver plates and any other antique stuffs.