The almond is a species of a tree that native to “Iran” and sorrounding countries. The almond is also the name of the edible and widely cultivated seed of this tree.
“The biological name of the almond is prunus amygdalus”
It can be taken in raw form or toasted form as a snack. It can be also add in sweet or soury dishes.
There are many types of almond is available in the market such as;- Almond oil, butter, as flour, sliced,flaked and slivered form.
It is also available as almond milk in the market.
People call them a nut, but they are seeds not a true nut. Almond really is nut compounds an outer shell and hard shell contain white seed is used to eat. Almond has already without skin and with skin. Almond with skin is treated with warm water to make nut is softer, is called bare almond which shell is removed to expose white embryos. Consuming almond can bring to you great skin, healthy digestive system and balanced cholesterol. Almond can be used for many applications.
History of almond:- It may have the one of the earliest tree that people cultivated in Jordan. Archaeological have found the evidence domesticated almond trees dating back some 5000 years.
This tree has origin from Middle East and South Asia.
Nutritional facts of almond:- These nuts contains full of nutrients as Vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Consuming 23 almonds everyday can provide to you all important nutrients. Besides that it is source of full fiber and protein, which are naturally low-sugar. For all of nuts, almond contains the most protein, Vitamin E, riboflavin, niacin and calcium. Pure almonds has a lot of nutrients are important for managing weight and satisfying hunger. Nutritional value of almonds compounds:-
- Energy and fat:- It contains high content of mono saturated fat which is also useful in reducing the risk of heart disease and cholesterol LDL. 1-23 Almonds provide 18 grams of fat and about 11 grams of mono saturated fatty acids.
So if you take 23 almonds then you will get almost 160 kcl. And this is the source of healthy saturated fat.
- Fiber:- It is a great source of fiber. A diet of 23 almonds can provide about 3.3 grams of fiber.
So let’s know about fibre;-
Fiber is a type of carbohydrates. Fiber can not be digested by our body. Basically most of the carbohydrates broke down into many sugar molecules but fiber can not be break down into sugar molecules that’s why it can’t be digested by our body.
Fiber helps to regulate the body’s use of sugar. It also helps to keep hunger and controls our blood sugar level.
Body need:- Children and adult need at least 20-30 grams of fiber per day for a good health.
Varients of fiber:- There are two varients of fiber in the market;-
- Soluble fiber
- Insoluble fiber
Soluble fiber:- Soluble fiber dissolves in water. It helps to lower our glucose level as well as helps to lower our blood cholesterol level
Some examples of food with soluble fiber :- Oatmeal, almonds, nuts,beans, apples and blueberries.
- Insoluble fiber:- Insoluble fiber does not dissolve in the water. It helps to promote movement of food through digestive system, promotes regularity and also helps to prevent constipation.
Now a days, constipation is the common disease. Every family has a patient with constipation.
“Constipation means difficult evacuation of bowel.”
It can be say that the constipation is the main reaosn of all digestive problems.
Some examples of food that contain insoluble fiber:- There are many foods that contains insoluble fiber. Here I am listing some common food that can be easily get in the market.
Wheat, whole wheat, bread, whole grains, brown rice, legumes, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes etc.
The best source of insoluble fiber are- whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes and nuts.
Some tips to increasing fiber intake:-
- Eat whole fruits instead of fruits juice
- Replace white rice, pasta, burger, bread with brown rice and whole grain products.
- For breakfast, replace oily dishes with cereals or dry soaked Almonds that provide high fiber with enough minerals, vitamins as well as good cholesterol with energy.
- Replace snacks, cold drinks with almonds and nuts snacks and fruits juice with nuts and almonds.
- Substitute beans or legumes for meat at least two to three times per week in chilli and soups.
Benefits of fibers:- Fiber helps to reduce the risk of developing many disease like heart disease, diabetes and constipation.
Despite these benefits fiber also useful in the colon cancer.
- Carbohydrates:- it is also a good source of carbohydrates. A diet of 23 almonds can provide about 5.6 grams of carbohydrates.
- Protien:- Almond contains a high quality of vegetal proteins. A quarter of cup of almond contains 7.62 grams of protein. Protein content is suggested everyday is 50 gram base on a diet with 2000 calories. A quarter of cup of almond satisfies 15% value of protein is suggested everyday. Almond doesn’t contain cholesterol and very few of sodium.
- Vitamin E:- vitamin E is a strong anti- oxidant nutrient provide a protection to cells of the body, especially to skin, heart and red blood cells.
A quarter of cup of almond provides about 45% calories.
- Vitamin B:- There is a high quantity of vitamin B in the almonds as riboflavin, B-6, thiamine, niacin and folate. These all are important for the metabolism of our body.
- Magnesium:- A pure almond is a great source of minerals, especially is magnesium. A quarter of almond provides 25% magnesium. This value is suggested for everyone. This mineral is essential for the regulation and maturation of red blood cells, helps to maintain oxygen in our body.
- Phosphorus:- It contains a good quality of phosphorus in food. It serves about 15% of total phosphorus.
- Potassium:- It is a good source of phosphorus. A diet of 23 almonds contain about 290 milligrams of potassium.
- Manganese and bronze:-Almonds have a great quantity of manganese and bronze. As it provides 45% manganese and 20% bronze of every day’s dose. Both of them supports for enzyme protection process. It also inhibit aging.
- Free gluten:- Almond is a good choice for those who does not like gluten. It is gluten free that means it is suitable for a diabetes patient. It is also a good choice for gluten sensitive patients.
Benefits of Almond
There are a lot of benefits of Almond. If any person eat almonds daily then that person will be healthy and free from many diseases.
So let’s know the benefits of Almond;-
- Benefits for skin:- Almond is a super food for skin. It has vitamin E that is also called “beauty vitamin” as well as it is a good anti oxidant agent. Almond has a following benefits for skin;-
a.It helps to brighter the skin:- It is an anti oxidant agent, that cleans the skin by removing the toxins and radicals out of the body. It has a lot of alpha tocopherol that is the main element of vitamin “E”.
Vitamin “E” is also called the food for skin because it feeds the skin, keeps skin smooth and bright.
Beside eating the almond you can use almond as face mask.
Ways to use almond:- crush 4 to 5 almonds to have almond powder and mixes it with free-sugar milk, lemon juice and oatmeal. Put mixture to your skin and clean after 30 minutes to have better skin.
b. Benefits against aging:- It has anti oxidant properties that help to red
• Massage skin with almond oil helps to brighter the skin, that helps to reduce radiant and looks younger than your age.
c. Treat acne and blackheads
d. Treat dried skin
e. Treat dark circle:- It is necessary to do massage under eyes with almond oil. Do it everyday can reduce the dark circles under the eyes for 2 weeks.
f. Prevent from sunburned skin
:- Mix almond oil with lemon juice, honey and farmula milk. Apply this mixture on sunburned skin for 20 minutes. Do it twice in a week to reduce sunburned skin and improve moisture of
- Benefits for hairs:- Both eating and applying almond oil can provide you strong hair. Almond oil has special advantage relates hair and helps you removes all problem of hair.
a.Get rid off dandruff:- Prepare a mixture mask with almond to avoid dandruff and impurities of the scalp.
Ways to use almond :- Mix 1 bowl of Almond powder with ½ cup of yogurt & 1 spoon of curry powder.
• Apply this mixture to hairs to use at night, add egg-white to this mixture to use in night, add egg-white to this mixture to use at daytime for 20 minutes.
b.Hairloss treatment:- Almond have vitamin E, D, and magnesium and calcium, it soften the hairs and prevent from hair loss.
• It is used as moisture cream for dry hard hairs.
• It maintains the shining of the hairs and have all essential minerals and vitamins which requires for stronger hairs.
Ways to use almond as hairloss treatment:- Warm the almond oil for some second and massage gently until it absorbs to the hshampoo. After some hours wash hairs with light shampoo. Apply one time for a week to have best result.
Other health benefits of almond:-
There are following other health benefits-
A. Improve digestive system.
B. Good source of energy.
C. Regulate blood pressure
E. Good for diabetes
F. Good for heart health
G. Good for strong bone and teeth.
H. Improve immune system
I. Helps to prevent cancer
J. Improve brain’s function
K. Helps to loss weight.