Do you know, gums are a very underrated part of our body, no one talks about it? Like everyone talks about dental cavities, obesity, cancer, diabetes, COVID-19, etc but none talk about gums and none take advice to doctor about how to keep gums healthy. Most dental problems occur when gums are not capable to do their work. Swollen gums or gums Swelling is a major sign of a problem in your gums or teeth.
Gums are very essential for our dental health, so it is important to pay attention to gums.
Gums are very important for oral health, these are like a protective cover for our teeth.
Now, let’s know something about “gums”.
Check More: Home remedies for Teeth Whitening
What are gums made of?
Gums are made of firm tissues, that are pink in color and our gums cover our jawbone. Gums keep our teeth attached to our jawbone. Gums are thick, fibrous, and rich with blood vessels.
In many cases, swollen and bleeding gums are a sign of many gums’ disease. However, there are a number of other things that could because by swollen gums.
Gum swelling usually begins where the gum meets the tooth, in this case, the swollen gums appear red instead of their normal pink color.
Swollen gums also called, Gingival swelling are often irritated, sensitive or painful.
Gums bleed more easily when brushing or flossing gums.
Swollen Gums Causes
There should be the following causes of swollen gums;-
It is the most common cause of swollen gums.
“It is a gum disease, that causes irritation and swollen gums”.
At the beginning of this disease, most people could not know that they have gingivitis because the symptoms can be quite mild.
If left untreated, it can eventually lead to a much more severe condition called “Periodontitis” and tooth loss may occur.
There are the following common causes of gingivitis
- Poor oral hygiene:- The common cause of Gingivitis is the poor oral hygiene, that allows plaque to build up on the gum and finally on the teeth.
Plaque is the result of no brush after consumption of anything. The piece of food stuck in teeth and gums provides a way to build up bacteria.
If plaque remains untreated, it becomes “Tartar”.
Tartar is the hardened plaque. It can’t be removed with a brush and flossing. Tartar building up can lead to Gingivitis.
Swollen Gums Pregnancy
Swollen gums can also occur during pregnancy because the body produces hormones in a large amount, so during pregnancy, the flow of blood may increase which may lead to swollen gums during pregnancy.
The increase in blood flow can cause gums to get swollen easily. Sometimes this can lead to swollen face tooth infection. This is very common in pregnant women.
That hormonal change weakens the immunity system. So, a weak immune system can increase the chances of bacterial infections. This can increase the chances to develop gingivitis as well.
Gum swelling due to Malnutrition
The lack of vitamin C and B in our bodies can increase the risk of gingivitis and other dental problems.
Vitamin C plays an important role in the maintenance and repair of our teeth and gums. The lack of vitamin C can cause Scurvy.
Lack of vitamin “D” and proteins can also lead to severe bone and dental disorders.
Gum swelling due to Bacterial Infection
Many bacterial and fungal infections also can be a cause of gingivitis.
Lack of hygiene, using rough and hard toothbrushes, and toothpaste which has very less amount of Fluoride can cause severe dental infections and tooth decay.
Swollen Gums Home remedies
There are the following home remedies that can provide you relief from swollen gums.
So let’s know about those remedies
Salt water in Gum swelling
Saltwater is a common way to get temporary relief from swollen gums.
Let’s understand its mechanism
- Salt water neutralizes the mouth’s pH and provide soothing effect in the inflamed gums.
- It also reduce the inflammation of gums because it has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
So what you need to make this natural remedy, let’s check out;-
Basically, you need only 2 things to make saltwater
- One tablespoon salt
- One glass of warm water
Method to use saltwater-Add one tablespoon of salt to a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it.
Dose:- Repeat this in the morning, at night after dinner, and also after lunch.
Clove oil for Swollen Gums
As we have discussed previously, clove is like a one-stop solution for all dental problems.
Eugenol Is the main element of clove, which has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Clove is also useful in the alleviation of pain. So let’s understand its mechanism.
- It is one of the old-age treatment of swollen gums.
- The swelling of gums can be reduced with essential oils as essential oils has eugenol which is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. That’s why clove oil is effective in reducing the growth of bacteria, reducing pain, and it has long-term effects.
Dose:- 2-3 drops of clove oil.
Way to use clove oil:- Apply clove oil on the swollen gums and gently massage. Do this until the pain starts to reduce, and do a massage every few hours.
NOTE:- Use clove oil with black pepper to decrease inflammation and pain faster.
Use Ginger for Strong Gums
Ginger has a chemical called Gingerol. Gingerol is a powerful antioxidant and also a decent anti-inflammatory agent.
That makes ginger an effective remedy in swollen gums.
So let’s understand its mechanism.
- Gingerol reduce the growth of bacterias and promote flow the fresh blood in that affected area.
So what you need to make this powerful remedy;-
- A small piece of ginger
- ½ tablespoon salt
Ways to use ginger effectively
- Crush and mash the ginger and add salt to it to get a coarse paste.
- Apply this paste on affected gums with a gentle massage and leave it for 10-12 minutes.
- Rinse mouth with fresh water.
Dose:- Apply ginger-salt paste thrice time in a day.
Essential oil is a compound which is a combination of many ayurvedic oils such as;- chamomile oil, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil and essential oils have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, let’s know more about essential oils;-
Mechanism of essential oils:-
Oils of chamomile have a ratio of linoleic acid, which is a natural healing agent. Apart from this, chamomile oil has also many chemicals which are anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and oxidant. It is also a decent antiseptic agent.
So let’s see what ingredients you need to make essential oils for Swollen Gums-
- 2 drops chamomile oil
- Two drops tea tree oil
- Two drops peppermint oil
- A glass of warm water
Ways to use essential oils-Add the essential oils to a glass of water and rinse your mouth for 2-3 minutes.
Rinse your mouth with fresh water after it.
Dose:- Use it as a mouthwash twice a day.
Babul Tree Bark to reduce swelling in mouth
Babul is a great source of vital nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Babul trees can be easily spotted in North America.
The bark of the Babul is rich in tannins and polyphenolic compounds.
Babul is a healing agent. Bark has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, which help to stop bleeding and heal gum wounds.
Babul is widely used in the manufacturing of toothpaste. It is a very old age remedy for healthy gums.
The pod and peel of Babul are burnt to ash and this ash is used to brush teeth and treat teeth ache.
The branches are used as brushes for strong teeth and gums.
So let’s see what the ingredients you need to make Babul bark remedy effectively;-
- 1 inch piece of Babul tree bark
- A glass of water
Way to use Babul bark effectively:
• Boil the bark in water for 5-7 minutes.
• Use this bark-water solution as a mouthwash.
Dose:- Rinse mouth with this mouthwash 3-4 times a day.
Tips to prevent Gum Swelling
There are the following tips that can be helpful in swollen gums.
Brush twice a day to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
There is a brushing technique recommended by dental experts.
Brushing your teeth is an important part of dental care, For healthy gums ADA recommended;-
• Brush your teeth two times a day with a soft-bristled brush.
The size and shape of the brush should fit the mouth, and it should be flexible so that it can reach all around the mouth.
• Replace your brush every 3 or 4 months, or sooner if bristles are frayed.
• Make sure you use ADA accepted fluoride toothpaste.
The proper brushing technique is;-
- Place the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short.
- Brush the outer surface, the inner surface and chewing surface of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surface of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up and down strokes.
Proper brushing can keep your gums and teeth healthy.
It is the first step of a healthy body because all the bacteria, viruses entered the body from the mouth. Proper brushing can remove all the viruses and bacteria.
You should also make sure to;-
• Clean between teeth daily once a day. The bacteria which cause tooth decay still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can not reach. This helps remove food particles and plaque from between the teeth and under the gums.
• Eat a balanced diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks.
• Go to your dentist every six month
- Floss daily:- It does not take more than one minutes, but flossing may be the most important thing you can do to prevent gum problem for now and in for future
- Rinse with mouthwash daily
- Eat a well balanced diet
- Say no to smoking
- Drink plenty of water:- Drinking water specially after meal
Can wash off all the areas of mouth and teeth, which prevents the settlement of bacteria.