Do you know, gums are very underrated part of our body, none talk about it. Like everyone talk about dental cavities, obesity, cancer, diabetes, covid etc but none talk about gums and none take advice to doctor about how to keep gums healthy. Most of the dental problems occurs when gums are not capable to do their work.
Gums are very essential for our dental health so it is important to pay attention to gums.
Gums are very important for oral health, these are like a protective cover for our teeth.
Now let’s know something about “gums”.
•Gums are made of firm tissues, that is pink in colour and our gums cover our jawbone.
• Gums are thick, fibrous and rich with blood vessels.
In many cases swollen and bleeding gums are a sign of many gums disease. However there are number of other things that could be cause swollen gums.
Swelling gums usually begins where the gum meets the tooth, in this case the swollen gums appear red instead of their normal pink colour.
Swollen gums also called, Gingival swelling are often irritated, sensitive or painful.
Gums bleed more easily when brushing or flossing gums.
Causes of swollen gums-
There should be following causes of swollen gums;-
1.Gingivitis:- It is the most common cause of swollen gums.
“It is a gum disease, that causes irritated and swollen gums”.
In the beginning of this disease most of the people could not know that they have gingivitis because the symptoms can be quite mild.
If it left untreated, it can eventually lead to a much more severe condition called “Periodontitis” and tooth loss may be occurs.
There are following common causes of gingivitis
- Poor oral hygiene:- The common cause of Gingivitis is the poor oral hygiene, that allows plaque to build up on the gum and finally on the teeth.
Plaque is the result of no brush after consumption of anything. The piece of food stuck in teeth and gums that provides a way to building up of bacterias.
If plaque remains untreated,it become “Tartar”
Tartar is the hardened plaque. It can’t be remove with brush and flossing. Tartar building up can lead to Gingivitis.
2. Pregnancy:- Swollen gums can also occur during pregnancy because body produce hormones in a large amount , so during pregnancy the flow of blood may increase that lead to “Swollen gums”
The increase in blood flow can cause gums get swollen easily.
That hormonal change weakens the immunity system. So weakens immune system can increase the chances of bacterial infections. This can increase the chances to develop gingivitis.
3. Malnutrition:- The lack of vitamin “C” and “B” in our body can increase the risk of gingivitis and other dental problems.
Vitamin “C” plays an important role in the maintenance and repair of our teeth and gums. The lack of vitamin”C” can cause Scurvy. Scurvy causes the many gums diseases.
Lack of vitamin “D” and protiens can also lead to many severe bone and dental disorders.
4. Infections:- Many bacterial and fungal infections also can be a cause of gingivitis.
Lack of hygiene, using rough and hard toothbrush, and toothpaste which have very less amount of Flouride can cause the severe dental infections and tooth decay.
There are following home remedies that can provide you relief from swollen gums.
So let’s know about those remedies;-
- Salt water:- Salt water is a common way to get temporary relief from swollen gums.
Let’s understand it’s mechanism of action;-
- Salt water neutralizes the mouth’s pH and provide soothing effect in the inflamed gums.
- It also reduce the inflammation of gums because it has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
So what you need to make this natural remedy, let’s check out;-
Basically you need only 2 things to make salt water
- One tablespoon salt
- One glass of warm water
Method to use salt water- Add one tablespoon salt to a glass of warm water and rinse mouth with it.
Dose:- Repeat this at morning, at night after dinner and also after lunch.
2.Clove oil:- As we have discussed previously, clove is like a panacea for all dental problems.
Eugenol Is the main element of clove, which has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Clove also useful in the alleviation of pain. So let’s understand it’s mechanism of action;-
- It is one of the old- age treatment of swollen gums.
- The swelling of gums can be reduced with essential oils as essential oils has eugenol which is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. That’s why clove oil is effective in reducing the growth of bacterias, reducing pain and it has long-term effects.
Dose:- 2-3 drops of clove oil.
Way to use clove oil:- Apply clove oil on the swollen gums and gently massage. Do this until the pain starts to reduce and do massage in every few hours.
NOTE:- Use clove oil with black pepper to decrease inflammation and pain faster.
- Ginger:- Ginger has a chemical called
“Gingerol”. Gingerol is a powerful antioxidant and also a decent anti-inflammatory agent.
That makes ginger an effective remedy in swollen gums.
So let’s understand it’s mechanism of action;-
- Gingerol reduce the growth of bacterias and promote flow the fresh blood in that affected area.
So what you need to make this powerful remedy;-
- A small piece of ginger
- ½ tablespoon salt
Ways to use ginger effectively:-
- Crush and mash the ginger and add salt to it to get a coarse paste.
- Apply this paste on affected gums with a gentle massage and leave it for 10-12 minutes.
- Rinse mouth with fresh water.
Dose:- Apply ginger- salt paste thrice time in a day.
- Essential oils:-
Essential oils is a compound which is a combination of many ayurvedic oils such as;- chamomile oil, tea tree oil and peppermint oil and essential oils have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, let’s know more about essential oils;-
Mechanism of action of essential oils:-
Oils of chamomile has a ratio of linoleic acid which is a natural healing agent. Apart from this chamomile oil has also many chemicals which are anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and an oxidant. It is also a decent antiseptic agent.
So let’s see what the ingredients you need to make essential oils;-
- 2 drops chamomile oil
- Two drops tea tree oil
- Two drops peppermint oil
- A glass of warm water
Ways to effectively use of essential oils;- Add the essential oils to a glass of water and rinse mouth for 2-3 minutes.
Rise mouth with fresh water after it.
Dose:- Use it as a mouthwash twice in a day.
5.Babul tree bark:-
Babul is a great source of vital nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
The bark of the Babul is rich in tanins and polyphenolic compounds.
Babul is a healing agent. Bark has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial which help to stop bleeding and healing the wounds.
Babul is widely used in the manufacturing of toothpastes.
It is a very old age remedy for healthy gums.
The pod and peel of Babul are burnt to ash and this ash used to brush teeth and treat teethache.
The branches are used as brush for strong tooth, and gums.
So let’s see what the ingredients you need to make Babul bark remedy effectively;-
- 1 inch piece of Babul tree bark
- A glass of water
Way to use Babul bark effectively:-
• Boil the bark in water for 5-7 minutes.
• Use this bark- water solution as a mouthwash.
Dose:- Rinse mouth with this mouthwash for 3-4 times in a day.
There are following tips that can be helpful in swollen gums.
- Brush your teeth daily at least twice each day:-
There is a brushing technique recommended by dental experts.
So let’s know that brushing technique recommended by experts;-
Brushing your teeth is an important part of dental care, For a healthy gums ADA recommended;-
• Brush your teeth two times in a day with a soft- bristled brush.
The size and shape of brush should fit to mouth and it should be flexible so that it can reach all around the mouth.
• Replace your brush in every 3 or 4 months, or sooner if bristles are frayed.
• Make sure you use an ADA accepted Flouride toothpaste.
The proper brushing technique is;-
- Place toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short.
- Brush the outer surface, the inner surface and chewing surface of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surface of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up and down strokes.
This image means that brushing for 2 minutes and twice in a day.
The proper brushing can keep your gums and teeth healthy.
It is the first step of a healthy body because all the bacterias, virus entered into body from mouth. The proper brushing can remove out all the viruses and bacterias.
You should also make sure to;-
• Clean between teeth daily once a day. The bacterias which cause the tooth decay still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can not reach. This helps remove food particles and plaque from the between of the teeth and under the gums.
• Eat a balanced diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks.
• Go for your dentist daily.
- Floss daily:- It does not take more than one minutes, but flossing may be the most important thing you can do to prevent gum problem for now and in for future
- Rinse with mouthwash daily
- Eat a well balanced diet
- Say no to smoking
- Drink plenty of water:- Drinking water specially after meal
Can wash off all the areas of mouth and teeth, that prevents to settlement of bacterias.