Obesity is a biggest threat of modern time. Almost one or two person in every family is suffering from obesity.
It is not only a concern, but it is a serious medical problem.
Medical professionals say that “obesity is a source of many fatal diseases”.
If you are suffering from obesity then many other diseases like;- Diabetes, heart diseases and stomach problems etc. are knocking your door.
Appearing of stomach from your shirts decrease the attention of people. Sometimes it can be the reason of embarrassment.
People use many tricks and workout to get rid of stubborn fat but if they got fail then they can be mentally stressed.
Let’s understand the global situation;-
• Worldwide obesity has nearly tripled since 1975.
• In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 650 million were obese.
• 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2016, and 13% were obese.
• Most of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
• 39 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2020.
• Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese in 2016.
In 2019, an estimated 38.2 million children under the age of 5 years were overweight or obese. Once considered a high-income country problem, overweight and obesity are now on the rise in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in urban settings. In Africa, the number of overweight children under 5 has increased by nearly 24% percent since 2000. Almost half of the children under 5 who were overweight or obese in 2019 lived in Asia.
Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese in 2016.
The prevalence of overweight and obesity among children and adolescents aged 5-19 has risen dramatically from just 4% in 1975 to just over 18% in 2016. The rise has occurred similarly among both boys and girls: in 2016 18% of girls and 19% of boys were overweight.
While just under 1% of children and adolescents aged 5-19 were obese in 1975, more 124 million children and adadolescents (6% of girls and 8% of boys) were obese in 2016.
The situation is terrible and concerning, but the good news is that even modest weight loss can improve or prevent the health problems associated with obesity. A healthier diet increased physical activity, and behavior changes can help you lose weight. Prescription medications and weight-loss procedures are additional options for treating obesity.
What is obesity
“Obesity is a medical condition in which your body can not properly metabolize excess fat”
It’s a medical problem that increases the risk of other diseases and health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers. Obesity isn’t just a cosmetic concern.
The good news is that even modest weight loss can improve or prevent the health problems associated with obesity. . Obesity is caused by the increase in the size and the amount of fat cells in the body.
A healthier diet, increased physical activity and behavior changes can help you lose weight.
Prescription medications and weight-loss procedures are additional options for treating obesity.
Symptoms of obesity
Obesity is the result of eating more calories than the body can burn or use on a regular basis. Your body stores excess calories as fat. If extra calories are consumed each day, the body continues to accumulate extra fat stores, leading to obesity and potentially in the most severe instances to morbid obesity. Obesity symptoms have been identified as a precursor to many serious, and sometimes fatal disorders.
Although gaining a few extra pounds may seem insignificant as far as a person’s overall health is concerned, weight gain can quickly escalate to a serious medical condition.
Frequent symptoms of obesity in adults
There are following symptoms that can be appear in adult in the beginning of the obesity;-
- Excess body fat accumulation, particularly around the waist
- Shortness of breath
- Sweating more than usual
- Panting during running or walking.
- Trouble sleeping
- Skin problems from moisture accumulating in the folds of skin
- Inability to perform simple physical tasks that one could easily perform before weight gain
- Fatigue, which can range from mild to extreme
- Pain, especially in the back and joints
- The psychological impact can include negative self-esteem, depression, shame, social isolation.
Frequent symptoms of obesity in children
In the past 30 years, the CDC reports that the rate of childhood obesity has tripled.
There are following symptoms of obesity in children in the beginning of the obesity;-
- Eating disorders
- Fatty tissue deposits (may be noticeable in the breast area)
- The appearance of stretch marks on the hips and back
- Acanthosis nigricans (dark velvety skin around the neck and other areas)
- Shortness of breath with physical activity
- Sleep apnea
- GI reflux
- Low self-esteem
- Early puberty in girls/delayed puberty in boys
- Orthopedic problems (such as flat feet or dislocated hips)
Morbid obesity symptoms
Morbid obesity is a growing health concern in many developed countries of the world today.
Morbid obesity:- When a person is 100 pounds over optimal body weight, with a BMI of 40 or more (in the Extremely Obese category) they are considered morbidly obese.
A person experiencing health conditions related to obesity (such as high blood pressure or diabetes) with a BMI of 35 or more is also considered morbidly obese.
There are following symptoms of morbid obesity;-
- Struggle with everyday activities
- Struggle in walking.
- Impaired body functioning
- Shortness of breath
Early-onset obesity can develop in kids due to rare genetic disorders involving genes that play a role in regulating appetite and energy expenditure.
There are following rare symptoms of obesity;-
- Hyperphagia (extreme hunger) starting during infancy
- Hormonal problems (such as adrenal insufficiency).
- severe early-onset obesity
- hypogonadism (a condition in which the male testes or the female ovaries produce little or no sex hormones, due to a problem with the pituitary gland or hypothalamus).
- Vision impairment,
- Polydactyly (having an extra finger or toe)
- kidney impairment
Obesity and BMI ( Body mass index)
To understand the relationship between obesity and BMI you need to know about BMI. So let’s know about BMI first;-
“BMI is a simple process to measure the obesity in adults. It is a ratio of body weight and height of that person”
So according to this definition the BMI is equals to;-
There is a standard of BMI according to age. So let’s know the standard of BMI in adults;-
According to world health organization;-
There are following criteria of BMI in adults:-
- overweight is a BMI greater than or equal to 25.
- obesity is a BMI greater than or equal to 30.
NOTE:- BMI should be considered a rough guide because it may not correspond to the same degree of fatness in different individuals.
According to medical researches, there are following ideal BMI chart;-
BMI Weight status
Below 18.5 Underweight
25- 29.9 Overweight
30 or <30 Obese
“There are different classes of obesity, depending on its severity. A BMI of 35.0-39.9 is considered Class II Obesity, a BMI of 40.0 or higher is considered Class III (Extremely Obese)”
Causes of obesity
There are so many factors that that responsible for obesity. These factors are classified in 2 types;-
- Lifestyle factors
- Medical conditions
There are following lifestyle factors that are responsible for the obesity;-
- Lack of physical activity:- A dull life lead to a greater risk of obesity. From driving to work each day to sitting at a desk for hours on end and then, for many, going home and sitting in front of the television. These all are associated with weight gain and obesity.
- Not taking enough sleep:- Another cause of obesity linked to the modern lifestyle is sleep deprivation. A 2012 study in the journal Sleep found getting too little sleep can result in metabolic changes that can lead to weight gain.
- Stress:- Chronic stress also causes the body to activate biological pathways involving stress-related factors and stress hormones, such as cortisol, which causes the body to hold on to extra weight more easily. Many people eat excessively in response to emotions such as boredom, sadness, stress, or anger. While most overweight people have no more psychological disturbances than normal weight people, about 30% of the people who seek treatment for serious weight problems have difficulties with binge eating.
- Overeating:- Overeating leads to weight gain, especially if the diet is high in fat. Foods high in fat or sugar (for example, fast food, fried food, and sweets) have high energy density (foods that have a lot of calories in a small amount of food). Epidemiologic studies have shown that diets high in fat contribute to weight gain.
- Excess carbohydrates intake:- The role of carbohydrates in weight gain is not clear. Carbohydrates increase blood glucose levels, which in turn stimulate insulin release by the pancreas, and insulin promotes the growth of fat tissue and can cause weight gain. There are some daily foods that has carbohydrates abundantly;- wheat flour, biscuits, sugar, bread, rice etc. These are contribute to weight gain because they are more rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream than complex carbohydrates (pasta, brown rice, grains, vegetables, raw fruits, etc.) and thus cause a more pronounced insulin release after meals than complex carbohydrates. This higher insulin release, some scientists believe, contributes to weight gain.
“The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting added sugar to less than six teaspoons a day for women and nine teaspoons daily for men”
- Processed foods:- Processed foods have a great role in obesity. Appetite-suppressing hormones increased more with the unprocessed food diet than the processed food diet. Appetite suppressing hormone are responsible for suppress the hunger.
- Saturated fats:- Consumption of saturated fat has been linked to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease. And given that foods that are high in saturated fat are often calorie-dense, this likely plays a role in the development of obesity as well.
There are following medical conditions that play a vital role in the obesity;-
- Genetic or family history
- Insulin resistance
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Cushing’s syndrome
Tips to prevent obesity
There are following tips that can be effective in obesity;-
- Don’t overeat
- Eat in many steps at 2-3 hours interval
- Breakfast is must:- Having a balanced and healthy breakfast suppress the food craving. Food cravings are also responsible for obesity.
- Cut back processed foods
- Wake up early
- Do workout daily
- Go for a 30 minutes walk daily
- Eat balanced diet
- Take at least 7-8 hours sleep
- Be punctual in meal
- Drink at least 8-9 glass of water
- Have dinner before 7pm:- According to Ayurveda, your dinner should be done before 7 pm because our metabolism system is directly connected to sun. The intensity of sun light keep our metabolism system active as sun got dull our metabolism system also got dull. So complete your dinner before sunset. A good metabolism system keep obesity away.
There are following complications occur if obesity can’t be treated;-
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- High cholesterol
- Congestive heart failure
Home remedies for obesity
There are following home remedies for obesity;-
Fennel or saunf is a wonder ingredient. Fennel is, in fact, famously known to treat indigestion problems and a bloated stomach.
Fennel has anti-oxidant property along with many types of minerals and fibres. These all are effective in obesity.
Fibres help you stay full for a longer time, which reduces your cravings to binge on unhealthy food, thus leading to portion control. It also removes the toxins from your body when you drink fennel water regularly, which also leads to fat burning.
Way to use fennel
- Soak a teaspoon of fennel in hot water overnight, and drink it first thing in the morning without having to reheat it.
Ginger has zingerone and shogaols that lead to burning stubborn belly fat when consumed regularly. You also have to stick to a healthy, nutritious diet and a consistent workout routine to get effective results.
Ways to use ginger water
- Chop or grate an inch of ginger into water and boil.
- You can also add ginger to your regular morning tea or dip a bag of ginger tea in boiling water.
- Make sure not to add any sugar to it, if you want the best results from this drink.
Cinnamon has anti-microbial property that makes it good fat burning ingredient. It also boosts metabolism and keeps your insulin levels in check.
Way to use cinnamon water
- Boil a glass of water for about 10 minutes with a cinnamon stick or a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Let it cool for a while till it becomes lukewarm.
- Add in honey to it and drink it on an empty stomach.
- You can also have it between meals and at night before going to bed so that your body burns fat even while you are sleeping.
Honey and lemon water
Honey has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant property along with many useful vitamins, minerals that makes it a perfect remedy for obesity.
While lemon has vitamin C that cuts fat by increasing the metabolism rate.
NOTE:- Always take this drink on empty stomach.
Way to use honey and lemon
- Squeeze half lemon into one glass of lukewarm water.
- Add one tablespoon of honey to it and mix it.
- Drink this lemon homey water and lose weight naturally.
Lemon and ginger water
This lemon weight loss drink will help in melting the belly fat. Lemon adds the anti-oxidants flavonoids while ginger helps to reduce inflammation and strengthen immunity. Both together help in blood circulation and reduces blood pressure.
Way to use lemon and ginger water
- Squeeze some lemon in a glass and chop a piece of ginger into it.
- Heat this mixture for a minute and drink it.
Green tea with lemon
Green tea is a fat burner drink. The powerful antioxidants present in green tea help your body to burn out fat easily. You can have 3 to 4 cups of green tea on a regular basis. Green tea is packed with vitamin C, zinc, selenium, and traces of minerals. You can also take a cup of green tea with your pizza or burger. The flavonoids and caffeine present in green tea can help in losing weight by promoting metabolic rate and increasing fat oxidation.
Way to use lemon and green tea
- Always take green tea with lemon after eating your food.
- You can take it 3 to 5 times a day.
- Take a cup of hot water, place a lemon green tea bag for about 1-2 min and enjoy your tea. It is the easiest way to prepare green tea with lemon.
Cumin seed water
Jeera packs in loads of benefits. It is very low in calories, has detoxifying properties, regulates blood sugar levels in the body, reduces bad cholesterol and leads to better metabolism. With all these qualities, your body burns fat faster, when you have a glass of hot jeera water first thing in the morning. For best results, you can add this to your daily diet 2-3 times a day after meals
Way to use cumin seed water
- Soak a teaspoon of jeera in a glass of water overnight, boil it in the morning and have it while it’s hot.
Or you can also boil the jeera in water for 10 to 15 minutes and strain and drink it if you forget to soak it at night.
- You can add a dash of lime for better taste
Amla has a rich content of chromium which helps reduce bad cholesterol. It is anti-ageing, helps in digestion, and reduces the risk of getting heart diseases, among many others. With better digestion and better bowel movement, your metabolism will boost up, thus eventually leading to the burning of belly fat.
Way to use amla juice
- Grind a handful of amla and curry leaves in your grinder really well.
- Dilute it with a glass of lukewarm water and drink it on an empty stomach for maximum benefits.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, like white vinegar, is a rich source of acetic acid that exhibits anti-inflammatory and anti-obesity activities and promotes weight loss .
Way to use apple cider vinegar
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Mix well and add some honey to it.
- Drink this solution.
Curry leaves reduce your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, thereby helping you lose weight naturally. They also aid digestion – which makes this the perfect remedy for weight loss.
Way to use curry leaves
- Wash the curry leaves thoroughly.
- Consume them every morning on an empty stomach.
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that boosts your metabolism and heats up your body, thus aiding weight loss .
Way to use Cayenne pepper
- Add a teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper to a glass of water.
- Mix well and add a little honey to this. Consume this solution.
- Alternatively, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper to your favorite dishes
Garlic is another herb that can help you lose weight naturally. This is due to its natural anti-obesity properties and its ability to boost your body’s thermogenesis .
Ways to use garlic
- Add one to two teaspoons of grated garlic to all dishes.
- You can also directly chew on garlic cloves if you can withstand the strong flavor.
Being a rich source of probiotics (good bacteria), yogurt boosts your metabolism. This, in turn, facilitates weight loss and management .
Ways to use yogurt
- Consume a bowl of plain yogurt with your diet.
The presence of medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil makes it an effective weight loss remedy.
The oil exhibits powerful effects on your metabolism, which is one of the main ways by which it helps you lose weight naturally .
Way to use coconut oil
- Consume a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil.
- You can also add coconut oil as a seasoning to flavor your salads and dishes.